Hi all,
Well, I've been meaning to create this blog for about a year now and just finally got around to it. I created this blog to keep in touch with our family and friends and especially so everyone can see "The Life of Riley." Riley is our little boy who was born in April and he is our precious guy!
Well, I've been meaning to create this blog for about a year now and just finally got around to it. I created this blog to keep in touch with our family and friends and especially so everyone can see "The Life of Riley." Riley is our little boy who was born in April and he is our precious guy!
Just to recap the past few months for those that I haven't done a good job of keeping up with: We moved to Atlanta from Richmond last fall. Tom is an Assistant District Attorney and I am an attorney with the Georgia Advocacy Office. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful job and to work with truly the most compassionate group I've ever met. Already in such a short time, they have shown incredible kindness towards us and for that I am thankful.
Our house in Virginia is still on the market, so we are living in a tiny apartment. We are trying hard to be patient and to keep in mind that God has a plan for us that will be revealed to us in His time! In the meantime, we are having fun doing "Atlanta-y" things and getting to know our new town by eating at new restaurants and doing all the touristy things.
So, on to Riley--the main topic of this blog!! Riley's full name is Edward Riley Kegley. Edward is Tommy's middle name and also his great-grandfather's name. Riley is the middle name of my great-grandfather (on the Coleman side). My dad was not keen on the idea of calling our child by his middle name because he said everyone will call Riley "Edward" since that is his first name and it will confuse everyone as he goes through life. My dad speaks from experience since his name is Rodney Miles, but everyone calls him Miles. My dad says he can remember the first day of school, all his teachers would call him "Rodney" and he would always have to correct them. I just smiled at my dad and told him it would be a minor inconvenience to Riley!!
After a pretty smooth pregnancy and a very short labor (seven hours), Riley was born! But in the process of the delivery, I suffered a separated pelvis (too lazy to look up the medical term) and ended up on a walker for six weeks and had to wear a pelvic brace! Let me say that was not how I envisioned my first weeks with Riley. Being on a walker meant that I could not carry my child anywhere. So, I had help 24/7 from both my family and Tommy's family and of course, Tommy himself. I was dependent on people to pick up Riley and bring him to me to nurse him or to just hold him. I held him alot, but couldn't do the simple things like standing up to change his diaper or to give him a bath. It was very hard at times, but with the support of my family and friends, I got through it. Other than that, I really enjoyed maternity leave with Riley. We went to Dothan for two weeks--once when I was still on the walker and still needed help and once when my Aunt Janice from Texas came into town and we went to visit with her. My other aunt, Aunt Jan "Tia" from California, came to Atlanta for about two weeks and I got to see her every day. It was just like old times with Tia because we went shopping and went out to eat--the only difference was now Riley was with us! We also spent some time at the lake, which Riley really seemed to enjoy. No, he has not been in the water or taken a boat ride yet! Next year, though!!
I am back to work now and Riley is attending the daycare run by our church. He seems very happy there and his teachers Squeezia and Joy are precious and are so loving towards him.
Lucy, our very active (read, hyper) Boston Terrier is still with us and has handled the transition well. She loves to lick Riley and I always have to stop her because I don't want her giving him too many germs!! She still goes to doggie daycare (she has her pick of three daycares in Atlanta. Spoiled, much??) and we take her for walks every day.
Our house in Virginia is still on the market, so we are living in a tiny apartment. We are trying hard to be patient and to keep in mind that God has a plan for us that will be revealed to us in His time! In the meantime, we are having fun doing "Atlanta-y" things and getting to know our new town by eating at new restaurants and doing all the touristy things.
So, on to Riley--the main topic of this blog!! Riley's full name is Edward Riley Kegley. Edward is Tommy's middle name and also his great-grandfather's name. Riley is the middle name of my great-grandfather (on the Coleman side). My dad was not keen on the idea of calling our child by his middle name because he said everyone will call Riley "Edward" since that is his first name and it will confuse everyone as he goes through life. My dad speaks from experience since his name is Rodney Miles, but everyone calls him Miles. My dad says he can remember the first day of school, all his teachers would call him "Rodney" and he would always have to correct them. I just smiled at my dad and told him it would be a minor inconvenience to Riley!!
After a pretty smooth pregnancy and a very short labor (seven hours), Riley was born! But in the process of the delivery, I suffered a separated pelvis (too lazy to look up the medical term) and ended up on a walker for six weeks and had to wear a pelvic brace! Let me say that was not how I envisioned my first weeks with Riley. Being on a walker meant that I could not carry my child anywhere. So, I had help 24/7 from both my family and Tommy's family and of course, Tommy himself. I was dependent on people to pick up Riley and bring him to me to nurse him or to just hold him. I held him alot, but couldn't do the simple things like standing up to change his diaper or to give him a bath. It was very hard at times, but with the support of my family and friends, I got through it. Other than that, I really enjoyed maternity leave with Riley. We went to Dothan for two weeks--once when I was still on the walker and still needed help and once when my Aunt Janice from Texas came into town and we went to visit with her. My other aunt, Aunt Jan "Tia" from California, came to Atlanta for about two weeks and I got to see her every day. It was just like old times with Tia because we went shopping and went out to eat--the only difference was now Riley was with us! We also spent some time at the lake, which Riley really seemed to enjoy. No, he has not been in the water or taken a boat ride yet! Next year, though!!
I am back to work now and Riley is attending the daycare run by our church. He seems very happy there and his teachers Squeezia and Joy are precious and are so loving towards him.
Lucy, our very active (read, hyper) Boston Terrier is still with us and has handled the transition well. She loves to lick Riley and I always have to stop her because I don't want her giving him too many germs!! She still goes to doggie daycare (she has her pick of three daycares in Atlanta. Spoiled, much??) and we take her for walks every day.
So, in a very small nutshell, that's what's new with us! I look forward to hearing from each of you and hope this will be a good way for us to keep in touch. Now, off to figure out how to post pictures!!
No comments:
Post a Comment